Thursday, November 20, 2014

Book Review - Dorothy Must Die

Here's my review of Dorothy Must Die

18053060
Insight into the book from Goodreads:
My name is Amy Gumm—and I'm the other girl from Kansas.
I've been recruited by the Revolutionary Order of the Wicked, and I've been given a mission:

REMOVE
The Tin Woodman's heart,

STEAL
The Scarecrow's brain,

TAKE
The Lion's courage,

And then—
DOROTHY MUST DIE


  The story starts off with Amy, a simple girl from Kansas.  Then a tornado sweeps her away, and she finds herself in Oz.  There, she realizes that Oz is nothing like she considered it to be.  
  • All of Dorothy's power has gone to her head, and she's changed Oz to be a place of fear.
  • The good-witch isn't so good, and the wicked-witch isn't so wicked.
  • The Lion, Scarecrow, and Tin Woodman are awful creatures that are devoted to Dorothy's safety and happiness.
  • Nobody can be trusted.
  Long story very short, Amy makes an alliance with the Revolutionary Order of the Wicked, and is given a mission.  Kill Dorothy.  Upon completing this task, Amy disguises herself as one of Dorothy's maids, in effort to get closer to her enemy and complete her mission.

  I'm going to take a step back from the plot of the story, and talk deeper about my opinion of this book.  
  My absolute favorite aspect of Dorothy Must Die, is the great modern twist to a modest story about a girl from Kansas that finds herself in a different world.  It wasn't just a modern twist, but a very dark twist, that made the story a hundred times more addicting.  
  I found many sections of this book slow, as I waited impatiently for something to happen.  Most of the time, nothing really did happen.  For example, the end of the book was a huuuuge disappointment for me.  Not to mention, frustrating.  
  Spoilers . . . 
  As I sat on my bed reading the final chapter, I was waiting (somewhat) patiently for a huge plot-twist, or something crazy to happen.  Nothing did.  Amy didn't kill Dorothy, when she had more than three opportunities to do so, but she didn't!  She hesitated, which as all readers know, if the main character hesitates, there's no hope whatsoever.  That frustrated me so much!  Anyone else feel this way?  I'm aware that for there to be a second book, Dorothy should probably still be alive.  However, I disagree.  There's so much more to this book besides Dorothy.  Just because the leader of Oz is dead, Amy will still have to deal with the Scarecrow, Lion, and the Tin Woodman.  Heck, they would be even more furious at Amy, why not let that be the base for the second book?  Instead, the story ends with Amy standing in front of Dorothy, with a clear shot to kill her, but doesn't.

  All in all, I really did enjoy this book.  It was a refreshing fantasy story that is certainly leaving me waiting for the second installment.



  What did you think of Dorothy Must Die?

1 comment:

  1. This book sounds wonderful! A dark, twisted modern retelling of The Wizard of Oz. Hell yes, I'm in! Save for the slowness throughout the book, I'm sure the world alone is phenomenal to read about. Have you read the Splintered Series yet? If you still want to do a buddy read, that would be a great choice! A.G. Howard is a wonderful writer as she retells the Alice in Wonderland story. It's also really dark and twisted, my favorite kind! Great, detailed review as always Cambrie (:
    Morrighan @ Elysian Fields.

    ReplyDelete