Monday, December 1, 2014

Book Review - We Were Liars, E. Lockhart


My review of We Were Liars, by E. Lockhart.


16143347

Insight into the book from GOODREADS:


A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth.





  Oh.  My. Gosh.

 I love this book.

 We Were Liars is a gorgeous, passionate book about a girl named Candence and her struggle to regain her memory of Summer 15 after a horrible accident took place, leaving her with limited memory.  Candence doesn't remember the accident.  However, everyday she suffers the after effects of it.  Loss of memory, severe migraines, and depression.  She yearns to know what happened Summer 15 on the private island, or what happened to Mirren, Johnny, and Gat after her accident.  Two years have gone by, and Candence's mom reluctantly allows her to return to the island for Summer 17.  This is basically where everything happens within the story, and also where I'm going to push the *pause* button and refuse to give away any spoilers.

 Being a reader, I'll always enjoy a fantastic writer.  A writer whom reveals characters good and bad side, what he/she struggles with, and how the character overcomes these obstacles.  Quite possibly that could be why I love E. Lockhart's writing, but there's more to it than that.  Her writing style is simple beautiful.  Everything was written so passionately -I could practically feel the characters anger/happiness/sadness coming through the pages, due to the stunning writing.  I'm not oblivious to the fact that not everyone agrees with me, I know a lot of readers didn't enjoy her writing style, which is without a doubt, very different from the typical YA authors writing.  In addition, E. Lockhart’s metaphors were extremely intense.  
 For example:  
 Then he pulled out a handgun and shot me in the chest.  I was standing on the lawn and I fel.  The bullet hole opened wide and my heart rolled out of my rib cage and down into a flower bed.  Blood gushed rhythmically from my open wound,
 then from my eyes,
 my ears,
 my mouth.
 When I first read this I thought, “Oh my gosh, Candence was shot!!!”  Laugh at me if you will, but I didn’t realize that this was a metaphor.  There are many others similar to this one within the story, and they’re so literal that occasionally I found myself confused.

 The ending of the story was utterly terrific.  I’ve heard so much about a crazy plot-twist at the end, but I never could’ve predicted it.  
My feelings after completing We Were Liars:



 I absolutely recommend We Were Liars, and I’m so glad I finally got around to reading it.


Thanks for reading!


6 comments:

  1. Yayyy you read it!!! OMG I love this book so much.... I wish I could forget all about it and then read it again so I could re-experience the ending! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could too! Haha glad to hear you love it as much as I do :)

      Delete
  2. Oh I loved this book so much. The writing was beautiful and the ending was so shocking. I did not see it coming. Glad you loved it as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is nothing better than a crazy plot twist! I love those 'what the hell just happened' moments that are somewhat rare in the YA genre. The ones that you have to go back and read again, just to make sure you just read what you thought you did! I've heard so many mixed reviews about this book; mostly that the writing style is awkward. I would love to give it a shot though, and I added it to my TBR pile. I usually stick to urban fantasy or dystopian books, but it's nice to read something completely out of your comfort zone once in a while! This is a wonderful, passionate review; you sold me!
    Morrighan @ Elysian Fields

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me what you think of it when you read it! Love hearing from you, Morrighan :)

      Delete